Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Hot Betty Bag

This past summer I traveled to Paris and stumbled into the Marc Jacobs store. I have always loved his bags because of their classic shapes, the unique colors, and his use of hardware. I had saved for something special to buy when I was in Paris and of course I thought of buying a bag. I walked in and my eyes went directly to a satchel bag that was quilted black leather with gold hardware. I made eye contact with the bag; I studied its lines and shape. The leather looked like butter and when I touched it, it was softer then I expected. I held it on my arm and walked over to the mirror. I compared my body proportion with the bag’s proportions; we matched. I pictured the bag with different outfits and the much use I would get out of this bag. The bag was calling me; I knew I had to have it. There was no way I was leaving that bag in Paris. So the bag and I made the 8-hour flight home together and we have been happy ever since. That was the latest purchase I made.

My style is influenced by my desire to be understated, elegant, preppy, and chic all at the same time. Ralph Lauren influences me because of his use of vibrant colors and classic shapes to create a look that is both preppy and elegant. I find influences all over the place and they are always changing with the season. This fall sweaters and turtlenecks are influencing me. Also by the use of black, brown, and navy blue that is popping up in all the stores is very influential picking pieces for my wardrobe.

I covet all of my bags, but one in particular is my vintage Louis Vuitton "Speedy" bag that was given to me by my grandma. She had purchased it on one of her many trips to Europe when she was younger. A few years ago I was looking through her closet and I stumbled across it. I took it out and showed her what I had found. She told me of when she went to Italy and purchased that bag in the late 1970’s. She surprised me when she said that I could have it. The Louis Vuitton Speedy bag that my grandmother gave me is more than a bag to me; it is a symbol of my grandmother. Every time I use it I am reminded of her and what she taught me. The bag has aged beautifully with the leather becoming softer and darker. The hard ware has become tarnished, but I don’t care about any of that. To me all those things just give the bag character, and my grandmother is a character.

Source: handbagdesigner101.com

No comments: