Thursday, November 09, 2006

You Did What?

I recently shocked a friend when I showed up with my Chloe Paddington...minus the padlock. I love the look, but as I am sure many with Paddingtons will attest, it really can be a pain moving it back and forth out of the way to get in or out of the bag and into the front or back pockets. I have no shame, or fear for that matter, when it comes to altering bags, so I quite simply cut off the strap, did a little color doctoring with a Sharpie paint pen so it was indistinguishable and put a couple of cute charm pulls on the top zipper. I love the bag now, but my friend was shocked that I would even consider cutting a purse, cheap or not. But, while a bag's look is the first consideration in purchasing, sometimes normal use reveals some little flaw that bugs you enough that you actually consider not using the bag. So, I suggest to all you ladies to not be shy. Get out your scissors or seam rippers and make that bag really yours and easy to use. The first time is the hardest, but I promise it gets easier and soon you will have the courage to make a bag what you want it to be and not have a bag gathering dust in the closet while you wish it were something else. Let me know (through the Email Me button on the right) what alterations you have done to your bags and, should I get enough response, in a future post, I will present a collection of ideas of what you can do to make a handbag work for you.

No comments: